PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medals Found on Nottinghamshire Golf Course
Old 19th Sep 2021, 12:01
Stuart Sutcliffe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
Agree on your decode for the columns ... L>R
39-45 Star, Atlantic, Africa, Pacific, Burma, France & Germany, War Medal. ...and italy in the line below. Then CL for Clasps.
Thanks very much for filling in that detail - very useful!

So does the medal set illustrated in the photos match all of that? I accept the DSC does not appear to be listed, but I suppose it could have been awarded after discharge?

I am now a little more convinced there is likely to be a connection with New Zealand in the National Archive record illustrated in my previous posting above. The handwritten text across the columns appears to be "CRS 101/109 to Dominions Office", followed by the "Feb 47" and "NZ".

There once was a Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs, and in (July?) 1947 the job was combined with the Secretary of State for India, to become the Secretary of State for Commonwealth Relations. This was the forerunner of today's UK Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs.

The office of Dominion Affairs oversaw relations with the Dominions, which included countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia. So, again, this particular Arthur J Scott likely had a connection to New Zealand.

Of course, whether the Arthur J. Scott connected to the medals in the box is the same Arthur J. Scott in the National Archives document remains to be discovered. I just hope the details on the document (medals, Discharge number, birth date, likely connection to NZ) can help any researchers and experts here to find out!