PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Makes a "2 Pilot Aeroplane" a 2 Pilot Aeroplane
Old 14th Sep 2021, 13:03
rcoight

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Office Update
The governing factor is the TCDS - Type Certificate Data Sheet

S/P Ops has nothing to do with aircraft Max Takeoff Weight, or Catergory of Pilot Licence unless you were doing Charter.

Jet aircraft are typically certified as Part 25 aircraft by the FAA or EASA. A Part 25 aircraft requires TWO pilots. An exemption can be issued by a local authority to allow S/P Ops in a Part 25 aircraft. Restricted to Private Ops only

For example C500/C550/C560 Citation, Citation II, Citation V are Part 25 aircraft, two pilot Ops. (unless local authority approves S/P Ops and normally applies to that country airspace)

The S/P versions are C501/C551 they are certified under Part 23 by the manufacturer and can be flown Single Pilot. Being factory certified S/P and requiring no exemption means you can fly them S/P in Charter Ops.

CASA recognise Flight Safety S/P pilot training and you can undertake FAA 4050 checkride or Flight Safety inhouse checkride for the Part 25 aircraft; for S/P Private Ops

The S/P versions; C501/C551 require no CASA approvals as the AFM/TCDS allows S/P Ops

The C560 Ultra and Encore require FAA or Flight Safety or Simuflite checkride, a local permit issued by CASA and good to go for S/P Ops, Private only

The CJ series; CJ,CJ1,CJ2,CJ3,CJ4 are all S/P approved in the AFM and TCDS and providing pilot has S/P training. This allows unrestricted S/P Ops. Private/Charter etc.

Its nothing to do with aircraft Mass, its all about cockpit simplicity and being able to reach ALL the controls including undercarriage emergency extension with seat belt fastened. Also the pilot in the L/H seat must be able to see the R/H wingtip with seat belt fastened.

The Citation legacy series aircraft, the later CJ series and Embraer, Cirrus Vision, etc all have very easy to operate flight decks and Flight management systems. Hence the approvals.

One quick way to VOID the airframe approval is to MODIFY the cockpit layout. Any mods may require an regulatory authority to sign off. as this was not what the FAA approved during S/P certification

.Send me a PM if you require more. I have 2000+ in Jet S/P Ops can can share info with you.

Some 3rd world tin pot countries will not allow S/P Ops in locally registered Jet aircraft. Cayman Islands, Papua New Guinea are two that come to mind. Cayman require or used to require two pilots in B200 for any flight...
Interesting, thank you.

However, I don’t think “… the pilot in the L/H seat must be able to see the R/H wingtip with seat belt fastened” is still a requirement.

I certainly can’t see the RH wingtip in the PC-24, and I imagine it would be the same in the Phenom and one or two others.