PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - September 11 - 20 years on.
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2021, 07:01
Tom Sawyer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Was working in Line Maintenance for a carrier at LHR and had dispatched x2 B747 to EWR and JFK that morning. Had to meet at least one of the aircraft back in as they were turned around mid-Atlantic, the other probably diverted to Gander (long time ago to remember the day's work events exactly). Remember having to go onboard as the pax were held there for a while as we may have been on a remote bay and it was pretty chaotic at LHR. Pax kept asking me what happened, particularly the Americans who were NY residents I guess. It was in the days before smart phones so had to describe the event. No one I spoke to had a direct connection with anyone in the Towers, but obviously very distressing for them.

The next few weeks we were effectively grounded and there was a chance the company wouldn't survive and you just knew aviation had changed forever. I've been watching a couple of programs on ABC (Beyond the Towers?) and SBS, and even now watching the impacts and the horror of people jumping is shocking. I've still got a couple of newspapers from 12th Sept as it was such a massive moment in history.