PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2021, 15:40
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, Mr Mac. Firstly, whilst taking on board your comments about infrastructure and maintenance issues at MAN, I suggest that observations of this sort are part of a different conversation entirely. The quote from me relates purely to the respective roles of MAN and MUC in their respective markets, as some observers believe the two to share very similar catchment characteristics. As I explained, in terms of attractiveness to interline business, they do not. Of course, I have never suggested that MUC is Lufthansa's first-choice hub - that is FRA. But it is undeniable that the group has put considerable effort into developing a complementary hub role for MUC with a wealth of connecting opportunities offered on all the main flight booking sites. And it has to be acknowledged that the geography helps. But I don't think of STR as a hub player at all.

Short-term covid considerations aside, MUC enjoys a far greater traffic boost from interline than MAN could ever realistically pitch for. MAN must overwhelmingly rely on P2P business, with a welcome niche interline top-up courtesy of destinations such as IOM, plus a gentle sprinkling of price-led long-haul connecting business.