PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2021, 04:59
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Anti Skid On
The plan is to get as close to 100% and then open the border, accepting only vaccinated people from countries where they have limited spread. That is exactly what we need to do; we cannot cope with a large outbreak. WE will open when WE are ready. It is also the model Australia and others will have.

We are only in lockdown because we had community transmission of delta variant; we have been in level 1 for 6 months; where I live I'll be in L3 at midnight and hopefully in L2 next week, and L1 soon after.

If Europe and the USA are so great, feel free to go there; if you remember, our kids have been at school for over 6 months without any issues and everyone has been living normally. Our GDP continues to grow https://www.stats.govt.nz/informatio...h-2021-quarter

As for our economy tanking and us borrowing so much; our debt to GDP ratio is currently around 24%; our GDP is US$20,000,000,000; which means we could borrow US$15,000,000,000 and still have less debt than the US, UK, Japan, France, etc.
We are losing Herd immunity to Measles due to the spread of Anti-Vaxx rhetoric and thus will never get anywhere close to 100% Vaccination uptake given how many people, who aren't strictly Anti-Vaxx, refuse to accept the severity of COVID.
So if We will open when we are ready, and the definition of ready is close to 100% Vaccination status, then we won't be opening. Ever.

Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Sounds like unvaccinated pilots will be down the road on long term LWOP, that is what I am hearing. And that is going to be Air NZ Group Wide.
Potentially yes. Up to 10 years LWOP, retaining service benefits for the first 5. But this hinges on the Companies decision to require Vaccination for all frontline staff. The Government mandate would allow non-vaccinated Pilots to crew the A320 on Domestic services and possibly Tasman/Pacific returns if bubbles return, as the mandate relates to Layovers.

However, similar to QF (I believe) Air NZ are considering mandating the Vaccine for all frontline staff which would prohibit these Pilots from operating entirely and thus LWOP would avoid termination.