PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2021, 11:29
Easy Street

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
FWIW I thought LB's post about Biden was crass in the extreme. Presidents and prime ministers generally don't get to take easy decisions: those get taken for them further down the food chain. Biden had the choice of withdrawing or re-escalating a conflict for which the US electorate had long lost its appetite. He took a decision which both Obama and Trump kicked down the road. History will judge whether he made the right decision, just as it has judged that Reagan did in Lebanon, and Nixon and Ford did in Vietnam, both despite facing heavy criticism at the time. It's a momentous decision that deserves and needs deeper context, analysis and reflection than a crass emotional reflex to undeniably shocking events. Ten thousand Afghans have been dying annually in this conflict and I don't recall there being any heart-wrenching at all about that, either in the Western media or in this forum.

Contrast Biden's gritty decisiveness with Boris folding in the face of nagging from his wife about a plane load of stray cats and dogs. I can't quite believe the Defence Secretary chose to acquiesce. Now that would have been an impactful resignation, unlike that of the USMC officer being discussed elsewhere.