PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to lay out roadmap for restart of international flights
Old 28th Aug 2021, 07:10
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
You're wrong. There's been many a time I could have travelled to the NT from NSW, stayed there for two weeks, sans quarantine and done the whole touristy thing, then travelled to WA, whereas I couldn't go to WA directly without going into mandatory quarantine. Even today, a WA resident cannot travel from NSW to WA at all, yet resident of the Top End can return home from NSW. You cannot enter WA from Queensland, unless you have somewhere to quarantine for 2 weeks, yet you can go to the Territory from Qld, so long as you have not been to one of the identified hot spot locations.I would say you're wrong.
There’s a lot of variables.

You could say NT instituted mandatory supervised quarantine from Victoria on May 26, whereas WA enacted their controls a day later. You could say NT only did it for Melbourne Metro and Bendigo, but the vast bulk of Victorian travellers would have come from or through Melbourne to get there (are there any other flights to the NT? Avalon? Only a tiny few perhaps) so effectively no difference.

Nuances aside essentially if you come from Victoria to either for whatever reason you’re spending 14 days inside, so unless it’s essential you basically aren't and therefore there’s very few people who flying between the two.

Here’s Michael Gunner’s comments about it, whilst the article doesn’t contain the exact quotes I believe he’s said at least twice that the NT may be looking at more vaccinations than the Doherty recommended 80% before ending use of widespread lockdowns and border restrictions.

So why isn’t DRW going to be a problem with the Chief Minister’s comments? Everyone’s lept on WA for their supposed refusal to “open up” at 80% (not exactly what was said yesterday) but the NT Chief Minister’s comments indicate to me he’d be less likely to open up at 80%.

Which is why I believe there’s more politicking and behind the scenes negotiations involved in this matter than the story the tabloid press wants you to believe.