PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed Taxation Changes to Residency Rules
Old 27th Aug 2021, 23:37
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by airdualbleedfault
So you went overseas, chasing the pot of gold, which as is quite often the case, turned out to be a barrel of 5hit and you're annoyed that the average Australian isn't crying a river for you?
Can I have some of what you're smoking
Can I have some of what you're smoking? Nah, it will just make you nasty, bitter and twisted.

You are a good case in point for the original poster. My reference was clearly toward the dismal attitude many fellow Australians had for people stuck overseas. Many of these fellow Australians were destitute and in trouble. If Australians take satisfaction in the unfortunate plight of expatriates, why would you expect a rational attitude to expatriate taxation? Many would be happy to see expatriates pay high levels of tax than would sign the petition!

It may not have worked out for you, however, expatriate flying was a pot of gold for myself and many others. I'm grateful many of my good friends who had to leave Australia, took advantage of opportunities financial and professional. A year abroad, once a Captain, was worth three years at least, as a Domestic Captain in Australia. So not much more than a decade abroad, you can be as well set up as you would a lifetime in Australia flying shark patrol MEL-SYD. It's nice seeing great people sitting out COVID comfortably and a surprising number of them retiring in their late forties. Would they do it again? The adventures and rich experiences of expatriate life? Probably without a doubt when confronting the miserable attitudes of some Aussies like yourself.

Last edited by Gnadenburg; 28th Aug 2021 at 02:56.