PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus + Cathay working on Single Pilot during Cruise with A350
Old 27th Aug 2021, 09:02
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Hi vilas yes, obviously, aircraft will have to become semi-autonomous but no matter how much autonomy an aircraft might have, it could still suffer an engine turbine failure that takes out multiple other systems, such as the Qantas A380, or the Sioux City DC -10. Or a decompression. Or an avionics fire.

That's when you need two, well rested, well trained pilots on the flight deck. Having one pilot in the cockpit and another asleep in the cabin is not going to work well for such emergencies. That would be like shutting down an engine during the cruise to save money ! (in a twin). Very foolhardy.

Yes, pilots make mistakes, and, frankly, there have been far too many basic piloting mistakes in recent years - I am as appalled about that as you probably are.

But that is because training and examining have become diluted, so that marginal, and under-skilled pilots are now on the flight deck, in charge of passenger aircraft.

The simple solution is not to spend countless billions on developing autonomous aircraft, but spend some millions on better training and examining of pilots - to make sure that only competent skilled pilots get onto the flight deck in the first place.

Obviously no airline or aircraft manufacturer is going to listen to me though

Last edited by Uplinker; 29th Aug 2021 at 10:23. Reason: Clarification about which point of vilas' I was referring to, since quote boxes keep disappearing