PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britannia Airways 737-200s.
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2021, 07:27
kenparry

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Although -DP and -DR were normally fitted with -9 engines, they were occasionally fitted with the -15 version. I think this was purely a function of engine availability - I remember a period when one of them had a -9 one side and a -15 the other. No useable performance benefit, of course!

As regards route suitability, DP & DR were not scheduled for any specific routes. With the small engines, they were not good off short runways; off a long one it was necessary to use improved climb (i.e. increased VR & V2) to get airborne at the structural limit weight. I don't recall any system or fit differences between the two.

One of the problems with the early -200s such as RL, RM, and NZ, was the low max ZFW and TOW, the latter being 49442 kg, limiting the max sector with a full load to 3 hr or so. From G-AVRN up to G-BADR that went up to 53070, and from G-BGYJ onwards to 55111kg. When those were new, they could take full fuel and a full load of passengers, and that enabled GLA to Cyprus direct. After about 10 years' service the empty weight had increased by around a tonne, so full fuel + full load was no longer possible.

Last edited by kenparry; 27th Aug 2021 at 07:37. Reason: Final para added.