PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 07:36
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
I'm struggling to understand your logic. What makes you think we in the largely unaffected states and that's all of us outside of NSW and VIC would want to even risk damage to our business and economy by opening our borders before we are confident we can.
Hi Xeptu, the logic is simply that Covid zero is dead in NSW. Like it or not, COVID is on its way to becoming endemic in NSW, possibly Vic too unless they can get on top of things. It's feasible to see a scenario in four months where NSW residents will be able to book their summer school holiday trip to Aspen or Fiji but won't be able to drive to Queensland or fly to WA to see nanna for Christmas.

We're in this situation because of a f&&k up in NSW, no doubt, but we are where we are. There will be a price to be paid in NSW in terms of lives, again no doubt. We will probably be seeing thousands of cases a day in NSW and tens of deaths a day by December, but that situation is inevitably coming now, like it or not. Vaccines will blunt the impact but COVID is here to stay. Other states are paying a price in different ways, but have the luxury still of making decisions about when they open up and to whom of they want to retain their COVID-zero status. So be it. As a domestic pilot, none of this is good news to me but I'm just giving my opinion as to the way things might play out. It's up to the state and territory governments if and when they open up. I'd rather see things open up as soon as we hit 80%, but that's self interest talking and seems unlikely given commentary from various premiers and chief ministers, in spite of what the PM wants.

Short story, I'm not sure if it's legal to open international borders in one state only but, if it is, I think it's likely that NSW residents will be travelling overseas before they will travel to WA unless things change somehow. Educated guess, but it's feeling that way to me.