PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Isle of Man-3
Thread: Isle of Man-3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 01:00
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The staff recruitment issue never arose for IOM hotels for the S2021 season, because the IOM authorities elected to exclude visitors until a very late stage. There was no market for the hotels to open for - residents of a small island aren't going to book them, and I don't think even the exchange deal with Guernsey residents continued into S21. No hotel is going to recruit support staff from overseas against the backdrop of a border lockdown policy. The current situation is the result of quite recent C-19 restrictions, not Brexit concerns. Note that I'm not criticising the IOM's isolation policy re Covid ... that was a matter for Tynwald to decide. But the draconian border controls drove the hotel recruitment response. They essentially lost S21 from a tourism perspective, and (though I stand to be corrected) I don't recall big draws such as the TT or the classic car rallies going ahead this year. I wish them better fortunes all round in 2022 and look forward to joining the influx to the island once I can again book with confidence that the trip can happen.