PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric Regional Aircraft in Service by 2026?
Old 21st Aug 2021, 19:38
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a hearty conversation, recently, with a gentleman who already has an electric powered GA training aircraft in operation. The aircraft has a one hour duration with a one hour charge time which makes it OK for typical pilot training missions. There are also a few airfields withing the one hour circle of Damyns Hall, where the aircraft is based, which have on airfield charge points. He did come out with some gems from airfield operators when he approached them with a view to getting more on airfield charge points such as:

"why would I want to supply free electricity to aircraft when I am still trying to build up customers for my Avgas supply?"

Because the cost of the battery charge is only a couple of pounds and your landing fee is 15 quid!

"but what about the loss of Avgas sales?

Doh, the electric aircraft users are not going to be buying your Avgas and so won't be flying in and paying your landing fee.

Interestingly most of the on airfield charge setups are using solar power and recycled truck batteries to provide charging from off grid solar systems. This removes many of the restrictions imposed on the feed in grid tie familiar to most of us domestic solar installation owners and thus also gets them away from paying for grid supply and the tax associated. It would seem to be win win for airfield and aircraft operators.

Rans6......