PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2021, 14:49
langleybaston

Received 628 Likes on 227 Posts
Listening to the debate in Parliament I wondered which planet some folk [May, Starmer et al] were from.

The naked truth is surely that if the US leaves, we must leave. These clever politicians have run down our armed forces to the extent that I doubt we could find enough to do the job without resorting to extremes of violence that our public could not tolerate. If the Russians could not, and the USA could not/ would not, and 300,000 Afghans did not, there is no realistic chance of Team GB hacking it............ two shiny aircraft carriers and a few Lightnings are an irrelevance. I think the British public would oppose any further intervention..

Then there is "why"? I haven't a clue as to why, except to double down on failure, like a desperate gambler.

Where BoJo's critics would do well to concentrate might be the planning and execution of withdrawal, but even there we are very dependent on Uncle Sam, and indeed seem to be making a better fist of it.

Sh1t happens, and this is a big SH1T, but it was an inevitable scenario, the only questions being when and how..

But then I am only a civilian, and a long-retired one: handed in all my stuff at Waddington in 1997..