PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed Taxation Changes to Residency Rules
Old 13th Aug 2021, 01:11
HKFlyer777

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
I lived abroad as a non-resident airline pilot for almost 20 years. Not once was I home for 45 days despite having 10 weeks of annual leave. Having significant economic interests in Australia, some aspects of this new rule welcomed. That is, a clear-cut time definition to determine residency.

However, I can see if you have left your family in Australia and commute, or work for an airline that is FIFO for your monthly days off, it would be crippling. Take for instance the CX pilot thread starter ( I'm assuming ). His package has been slashed 60% + and to pay Australian tax whilst trying to commute is surely not worth it? The professional stress of the job and stress on your family as well as health. Not ideal.

These laws probably won't catch out who they need to. High net worth, dual residents, setting families up in Australia whilst not contributing tax wise due their non-residency status. Yet, it will provide a glut of highly experienced airline pilots moving forward when coupled with the dramas of COVID.
Yes, paying Aus tax would be unsustainable when combined with cost of living for many expats. Whilst I agree there are some who probably should be paying their fair share of tax back home, I'm more concerned by how restrictive the proposed limits would be for someone with very little economic interest in Aus but a genuine reason for visiting for frequently eg elderly/sick parents.

Originally Posted by SHVC
I just want internal borders to open so I can start paying tax again. I guess we all have our priorities.
Absolutely. Understand this is not a pressing issue for most