PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A simple question from a now (much older) wannabe.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 23:30
Twist & Shout

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Adding to my earlier comments.
It’s always been “difficult” for a civilian to “make it” in rotary wing aviation.

But lately “making it” has become even less attractive.

Off Shore has traditionally been near the top of the heap regarding pay and conditions.
Many “Off Shore” pilots have chosen a career that involves being away from home/family for at least 1/2 their life - this is not something to dismiss lightly.
With the downturn, even less attractive touring schedules are being offered.
The industry is moving rapidly towards ”Casualisation” EG “Contract” - likely make it more difficult to get a home loan for example.

I would urge any prospective CPL-H to look at the positions available and really think about what it would be like to work long term in that position.
Consider for example, how having a maximum of 1/2 the weekends to spend with your family would affect them/you. Having Tue and Fri off might suit you, but if your partner is at work, and your kids at school, they don’t get much out of it. Similar if you “have Saturday off”, but finish at 08:00 on Saturday morning, after flying half the night.

Human nature can have the prospective student lump a lot of the advantages of different jobs together, ignoring the reality, including downsides of ONE option.
EG - “I could live well on an Off-Shore Captains wage, and would find EMS flying incredibly rewarding. Flying happy tourists in a nice Squirrel would be a pleasant way to spend the day. I love passing on knowledge so instructing would suit me.” Each positive (and you only get to choose one at a time.)comes with some pretty big drawbacks. Poverty in the case of instructing/flying tourists.

I’ve done all the above. Invested huge amounts of time/effort/money on my career - I wish I could find another way to make decent money, or could afford to retire.
Being able to fly privately, like some of my friends is a pipe dream.

It is seriously as bad a time in the Helicopter industry as there has ever been. Drones have taken some work. Off-Shore is winding down. Tourism has basically stopped, and might never come back to what it was. EMS is generally reducing the numbers, but using bigger machines. (If 2 pilot ops become more widespread, this might be about the only “expansion” in opportunities.)

Buying Food/Shelter.

I would suggest that SE positions would “top out” with regards to remuneration around what a Tradesman would earn. But would likely involve some of the following: weekend/after hours, unpaid overtime, working “away”, lack of security, high risk (powerline work for EG).

To earn what a tertiary educated person would expect to start on it’s ME IFR.
Corporate - Niche industry that can be great or appalling depending on the employer. (Or the employers mood.)
Off Shore - Can be summed up - F#CK3D! (And only likely to get worse, and eventually virtually disappear.)
EMS/SAR - Extremely high requirements (Supplied by the Military). Previously it was possible to get ME IF Off Shore, and move across. Less likely now. (Especially with NVIS requirements) The roster doesn’t suit everyone.