PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex RAF Wing Commander cleared of stealing nameplate
Old 11th Aug 2021, 10:17
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Sorry guys I’m going to stop posting stuff of interest, I feel some of the comments I have received on the thread, especially the last couple just do not make it worthwhile posting, I thought it would have been of interest considering the threads posted at the time about its disappearance.

and in case you do not remember the poor guy trying to get it back

"Lord Dowding" Locomotive Plate
Nutty, what you post or don't post is entirely your decision of course. The only point I would make is make sure it is your decision and not one foisted upon you by the trolls who inhabit the internet, here and elsewhere. For what it's worth I don't think this thread is clickbait or any other word bite derogatory phrase. On the contrary it raises rather painful issues about the Royal Air Force as an institution. Based on what has been reported and commented on here I would hesitate to lend it a used bus ticket, let alone something as valuable as the OP article.

Having said that, I volunteer at a preserved railway and cannot understand the collectors' mania that prices a locomotive nameplate (no matter how illustrious) above the value of certain complete locomotives! The value of this one to its rightful owner is of course greater than any monetary value, and the withholding of it for so long and in such circumstances is shameful.