PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas...Post COVID
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2021, 23:45
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ruprecht
That is correct. However, I can’t imagine spending hours alone in the middle of the night would be conducive to good mental health.
Why not? I've done it for a decade driving trains under Driver Only Operation and I'm fine. I think. Put your music on, make a cuppa and get comfy and enjoy the trip. The difficult part is if you haven't got a good rest the day prior. Wonder if they'll have a Vigilance system installed to keep the pilot awake? Push a button every 5 minutes of an alarm goes off...

For CAsA or the FAA to deny it's certification, they're going to have to have hard data to support their position. Airbus and Cathay only have to argue there's an equivalent level of safety in single pilot operations as there is in two-pilot operations to get the approval I'd imagine. How they'll manage the concept of pilot incapacitation will be interesting, but given Rio Tinto have got approval for autonomous heavy haul trains, I wouldn't say this concept will never get approved! And yes, I'm well aware of the difference between planes, trains and automobiles, thank you very much, but for those thinking the second pilot is indispensable, think again, is all I'm saying...