PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paro picture perfect landing ...
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2021, 07:40
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief Willy
Seems to be airline specific. At mine the stable approach criteria explicitly does NOT include a lateral element and yours is the first ive heard of that does, especially AOB.

We do have a totally separate rule that no “turns” are allowed below 400’. A “turn” is a change of heading of more than 15 degrees. E.g. Dalaman on the southerly runway RNAV app it has a very low change in direction on the approach after the MAP but it is less than 15 degrees change of heading so is not a “turn” as per ICAO definitions. Any turn more than 15 degrees after the FAF counts a “circling” approach not a straight-in, such as in Nice on the 04 and 22 approaches over the bay. Is there a chance you could be getting stable approach criteria and turn limitations muddled up?
No, because You haven’t read my post carefully and You are the one muddling-up banks and turn requirements especially because you are talking about turning departures and we are just discussing stabilization criteria.

Just give it another try, read again where I do highlight differences between straight-in approaches, circlings, specific rnp-ar procedures and CAT C specific limitations and then we can continue our lovely chat.

If Your operator limits your bank angle at a certain value below a certain height it means you should not need to bank any further if the approach is flow satisfactorily.
I’ll say it again: my Operator (EASA Flag carrier) prescribes a maximum bank of 15deg below 500 ft/400 ft in circlings except where specific requirements apply (usually Cat C). In 28 years of service with them I never had the need to go beyond that intentionally.