PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2021, 01:39
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
Because I was primarily just proving that Australias GDP did drop contrary to what one poster said. The US data was on my screen at the time and data for the Australian numbers were not.
On looking just then the projections for 2021 are similar percentage wise to the USA. That could be revised if the on again off again lock down yoyo persists.
If you are referring to my posts, re-read, they state that Australia is above where it was prior to covid, not that it didn't drop during the pandemic. Also I clearly showed why the US GDP is so high, with $20,000 USD per person in the US so far handed out in pure covid stimulus. Australia has handed out less than half of that with about $11,000 AUD per person in stimulus/assistance. When you look at the big picture, Australia has done much better economically than the US. You have to also throw in that Australia started a trade war with China over the whole cause of covid, where they have blocked a number of luxury imports and beef, which the US picked up the slack on and provided to china. So our economy could easily have been another few % points higher if that trade was maintained.

In the UK economic recovery is being stifled by a lack of workers, partly because of brexit, but a larger cause is isolating workers due to the large number of infections. Education is still down on attendance for the same reason, and fear as well to re-enter society for fear of more waves. This has hit GDP significantly.