PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 5th Aug 2021, 11:27
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectAnywhere
Yeah, well fat chance with that. Frydenburg said yesterday that immediate lockdowns are the way of the future for now with costs up to five times greater if states don’t lockdown immediately on discovering community transmission.

Victoria’s approach has clearly trumped NSW’s in the most recent Delta outbreaks.

Immediate lockdowns and ongoing border closures are the management strategy for now. Longer term? Who knows. There doesn’t appear to be much of an appetite from the premiers to actually comply with the four phase plan. The reality of trying to explain to the punters why people are going to die and why that is ok appears to be quelling their enthusiasm somewhat. Kudos to Jodie McVernon for coming out this morning and calling a spade a shovel.

Australia’s political leaders need to start doing the same if they want a way out of this that doesn’t continue to look like the last 18 months - but with businesses actually going broke or net government debt continuing to rise as they try and plug the dyke forever.
The main reason is that Sydney initially had a 'Clayton's Lockdown' - department stores, etc. were still open. That was never the case in Victoria. In the first lockdown, closed meant CLOSED, with yes, places like Bunnings being open but if you got caught going to/from and used the excuse that you needed urgent repairs to your sink, you'd need to produce a receipt or the item(s) on the way back if that's when you got stopped and at Bunnings, there was a queue out the front to regulate the number of people in the building at any one time. We had a ring of steel. I would visit my Dad for care-giving and every time I returned home, EVERY TIME, I was required to pass through a Police Checkpoint outside metro Melbourne and explain where I had been, for what reason and where I was going.