PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD/ASD and CASA medicals
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 08:00
Lead Balloon

Received 410 Likes on 202 Posts
I listened to a fascinating conversation between Richard Fidler and Gordon Parker, the latter being the founder of the Black Dog Institute.

The whole conversation is worth listening to, but I did laugh along with them at this point (after about the 16 minute mark):
So many patients get this uninformed diagnosis of major depression which is just homogenising multiple differing depressive conditions and then they then get the treatment that reflects the background discipline of the particular practitioner. So for instance, if you go to a doctor and get a diagnosis of major depression, then you’re probably going to get a drug. If you go to a psychologist with the same type of depression, you’ll probably get cognitive behaviour therapy. If you go to a counsellor you’ll get counselling and if you go to a lady wearing a kaftan you’ll get crystal therapy. And to my mind, that’s got the story the wrong way round; where the background discipline or training of a practitioner shapes the therapy. And then the therapy is a sort of one size fits all model.
Tell CASA Avmed that you have been diagnosed with “major depression” and strap in while the ‘experts’ swing into action.