PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD/ASD and CASA medicals
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 04:18
Clinton McKenzie

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts
The Form 420 provides a ghastly insight into the mindset of CASA Avmed. I'd prefer not to think about what the other hundreds of forms contain.

I'm not surprised at the inappropriateness of the attempted 'joke' that some arrogant arsehole put in the Form. It's 'funny' alright - in the sense of weird.

Make no mistake: This stuff is the product of people with a noble cause. They consider that they must know everything that, in their opinion, is relevant to something that, in their opinion, has some consequence - any consequence - for the safety of air navigation.

Make no mistake: They will come up with any excuse to demand information and tests and examinations to 'satisfy' them, and to restrict and destroy flying careers and aspirations. It's their crusade.

MalcomReynolds' post above is, sadly, typical of many participants in aviation these days. (I do hope that's not your real name, as CASA will come after you for advocating for non-compliance with the law.)

What worries me most is not that people are withholding information from CASA Avmed. After all, there is no causal connection between Avmed's level of knowledge or ignorance, its level of expertise or incompetence or its level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction about anything, on the one hand, and a person's objective medical fitness on the other. What worries me most is that some people may not be approaching qualified professionals when in doubt about something, for fear of what CASA Avmed will do if they find out. That is why - and I've said this publicly before - CASA Avmed is in my opinion now a force inimical to aviation safety.

Be very, very, very careful before you expose yourself, or a loved one with aspirations of flying, to the risk of a 'diagnosis'. Very careful. There is almost no end to the conditions that you and your loved ones can be found to have, which conditions can be 'fixed' by some drug or therapy or gizmo or procedure that the medical industry is happy to supply and CASA Avmed will feel obliged to seize upon.

CASA Avmed treat a diagnosis as an objective truth (but will reject, out of hand, the opinion of the diagnosing professional to the effect that the diagnosed condition is cured or creates insignificant risks). CASA Avmed will then search the planet for whatever evidence they can find to cast the diagnosed condition in the worst possible light and as high a risk as possible, then demand information and the most intrusive and - in some cases - risky tests and examinations as they can come up with to 'satisfy' them, notwithstanding that qualified professionals with ethical and clinical duties to their patient take a different view. I've also said this publicly before: Any idiot with access to the internet can do what Avmed does.

Beware the diagnosis!