PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2021, 21:24
blubak

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Nulli Secundus
The NSW Premier can urge, wish, strongly encourage etc.all she likes but this situation, now, no longer affords that degree of latitude. It never actually did but given she waited too long and the action she took effectively lagged the outbreak's expansion 'by one local government area/ limo driver' she will now in my view exacerbate the problem in so far as public health is concerned. It takes a command style approach to pull together a team and thereafter a statewide community that can hold out for the relatively few weeks needed to contain this outbreak. She isn't that leader.

There are occasions particularly in politics where spin, political capital, charisma and just plain likeability get a leader out of a bind. Often, rightly or wrongly, a leader can simply 'manage' their way out of a crisis. You can't manage or message your way out of this. The facts don't lie....... Delta covid takes lives across a wider demographic, its more virulent than the Alpha, Beta or Gamma variants, it does have a very long lasting debilitating effect i.e long covid, and vaccines are still months away before all of greater Sydney has two doses.

In aviation, particularly in say the area of EP's we don't softly encourage with words like 'please', 'could you just', 'may I remind everyone' etc. because we know assertiveness saves lives. It gets the best results and whilst at the time some may say its too harsh, to not take that course is failing to properly care for those in your charge. To ease conditions whilst cases and infections are booming is not only fool hardy but clearly a political move. Those calling for a proper, thorough lockdown of all but the most essential of services are nowhere near as vocal or prominent in their public opposition as those who argue that maintaining economic activity should be paramount. She believes right now that if she manages the push back from even just a small section of the community, that will be all it takes to secure the next election.
In response to where you mention about softly encouraging people i have to agree.
I watched part of glayds's presser yesterday & as you say she seems to be trying to be nice all the time whereas with the vic & sa pressers the information being passed to the public is in reality telling us what has to be done.
Many people hate andrews but at least he comes across as a strong leader & in sa the cho nicola spurrier is so switched on(& so she should be).
I dont care what political party they represent,what we need is to get this under control for the good of the whole country.
Not important right now to play politics.