PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Safety Video - Very Concerning
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2021, 09:00
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
I suspect strongly it is a video of a live presentation, the presenter is holding the remote for a projector and mentions previous seminars they have conducted and comments from participants in those seminars.

Personally I am not so worried about lack of polish in the presentation, (to me, getting up in front of people and delivering a perfect performance is not as important as getting up and delivering useful content in a reasonably digestible way - umms and arrs and stumbles can be forgiven if the material is useful). I would hate to have my briefings videoed and placed in public for criticism of my public speaking technique!

Should it have been made public? <Shrugs shoulders> I dunno - lots of times videos of seminars are made public to make them available to a wider audience who did not have the opportunity to attend. Again, if the material is useful, does it have to be polished? - it was a seminar not a slick video production.

Was it useful? Therein lies the rub.

For me it highlights the difficulty in doing human factor training. From the bits I watched I came away thinking... We have heard all this before.

This is a gross simplification but to me it often feels like human factors training often falls into the following structure:

1. Humans are fallible (here are reasons why we are fallible)
2. For that reason humans regularly make mistakes (here are some classic examples of mistakes humans make).
3. So now you know this... do not make mistakes (ie - do not be human!)
(and if the regulator is involved - do not be human or you will be punished!)

Good HF training IMO should be more along the lines of:

1. We regularly stuff up because we are human (nothing new here)
2. These stuff ups are often similar, decade after decade, fuel mismanagement, miscommunication, VFR->IMC, distraction etc. (again nothing new here)
3. Telling people to not make mistakes and just get it right from now on equates to telling people not to be human (it doesn't work)
4. Given we will make mistakes, what can we practically do to avoid (or minimise) our mistakes causing dramas?

Step 4 is the hard one.

How should we teach HF? (telling people to do a W+B or follow a IMSAFE checklist or whatever doesn't seem to cut it for me)

I find HF one of the hardest areas in aviation to teach. I do not think we do a good job of teaching it.

my 2c