PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mach 1.6 Jaguar
Thread: Mach 1.6 Jaguar
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2021, 15:59
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry NutLoose,
I didn't mean to suggest that the Jag could do buddy - buddy refuelling because the RAF ones could not. When I said 'pod' I should have been more careful. The centre line could take the tandem beam, a recce pod (if modified) or a fuel tank. As I mentioned there was flexibility and there are some promotional photos around showing the variety of stuff that could be carried. For Granby, lots of things were cleared in a hurry, including some US weapons, the CRV7 rockets. Stealth paint, tiles in the intakes to reduce signature and all sorts of things with non jammable radios, improved RWR, various allowances re engine rating etc.

Post GRANBY, the battle was on to incorporate the improvements/changes but a couple of guys in the air staff nearly 'killed' the jet by offering to sale a load of cabs in exchange for the improvements. Treasury took the offered savings and then baulked at the exchange. The aircraft to be sold would have been the attrition replacements and those required to get the aircraft's fatigue consumption through to its (ever changing) out of service date. It was such an unnecessary cock up by people who should have known better - rant over.

Later things like a Vinten recce pod and other goodies came along and just after the new engine was approved, the jet was chopped!!!

Old Duffer