PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cruise/Anti-Ship Missile for Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2021, 20:26
SLXOwft

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Some further random thoughts:

According to MBDA:

Storm Shadow / SCALP 'designed to meeet the demanding requirements of pre-planned attacks against high value fixed or stationary targets such as hardened bunkers and key infrastructure,' 'On approaching the target, its onboard infrared seeker matches the target image with the stored picture to ensure a precision strike'.

Exocet AM39 is an air launched fire and forget missile designed 'To strike at stand-off ranges for launch aircraft safety in all environments (brown and blue waters) with high probability intercept.' and ' Ensures a high-penetration probability against most strongly defended surface targets.'

Two differing roles one preplanned against known fixed targets; one, at potentially short notice, against what might be an unknown vessel type probably manouevering violently at high speed (for a ship). So IMHO replacement of both probable requires two versions with different software demands (which I agree will probably be one set of code to cope with both) but is more likely to require a different sensor fit and potentially payload.

If the UK is to acquire it for air launched anti-shipping strikes, then it would make sense for the carriers to be able to use it. So, perhaps it will be integrated with Vixen during their parallel development?

Bob V, what you say makes sense to me. I have assumed from all I have read and heard that current aircraft have a much reduced workload for pilots, and that the combination of the cockpit systems and shared data picture have transformed target identification and delivery of ordnance, Also without meaning to denigrate their predecessors. Given the smaller numbers required, even from a shrunken pool of those interested, I believe the average calibre of the current generation must be higher.

My previous comment was meant to be purple in outlook, so apologies if the facetious Sharkey comment was misunderstood.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 11th Jul 2021 at 11:04.