PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2021, 23:37
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
I’m curious, as you’ve popped up on every thread of this nature with a similar sentiment , how long you spent in Afghanistan?

the Taliban are committed and willing to die for their cause, but they aren’t some ninja type of master tactician. They didn’t win the war, Western politicians surrendered. It started withGeorge W shifting forces to the sideshow in Iraq at a critical time, was confirmed by Obama announcing a withdrawal and now completed by Biden’s last flight out of Saigon exodus

Please don’t regale us with the view of the Daily Mail editor.
Doesn't it also depend on what we were trying to achieve? Perhaps, we got too tied up trying to "make everything right" in our own eyes regarding democratic institutions, women's rights etc. I'm for all those things, but frankly, it's impossible to do it for a country that wouldn't do it for themselves. As ugly as things will get after we depart, it wouldn't be any different 20 years from now, except for the loss of too many of our troops (including allies) in the meantime. I don't see a perfect solution. Perhaps we should have stuck to "getting Al Queda" and establishing just enough defensive security for that, and leaving when that's achieved all that we could.