PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The first job hunt - Australia.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2021, 06:30
Pendingclearance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats on the cpl.
Speaking from personal experience, especially in this job market, don’t send emails to companies up north if you’re not prepared to do the drive up, really even unless you’re already planning on moving to the area where you are applying.
Even as someone currently trying to get into that first charter job living in the NT, opportunities are few and far between and it seems the jobs seem to go to whoever popped their head in on a day the cp was thinking about hiring.

Keep hanging around whichever GA airport you are closest to and keep meeting people, join an aero club and go to the events, flying and non flying.

Anecdotally, I haven’t met a low time pilot who was hired in Darwin/NT in the past year who wasn’t already up here handing resumes door to door, having said that there may be the rare outlier.
With that said, if you’re unable to come up north right now, an Instructor Rating will be your best bet at finding a first GA job in a southern state.

having originally gone down that path myself, my anecdotal advice would be to find a school you’d like to work at, and do your instructor rating there. Every school regards their instructor graduates as “the best”, and will typically hire their own graduates over others.

if you can’t find 20k for the instructor rating perhaps get a JPA and try find a skydiving gig, although you may need a second job (true even for instructing and entry level charter)

If all else fails, continue your current job, fly to keep current, keep going to flying club events, keep networking. Inevitably things will become better.