PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No LPV approaches in UK from 26th June due to Brexit
Old 7th Jul 2021, 21:18
gipsymagpie

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry - but cheeky about the AIRAC date - I see the date on the GTN every time I start the aircraft and know with a sinking feeling that I’ll be the one doing the update in the aircraft if I actually want the database to be up to date.

So I don’t think the whole approach will go, just the minima - laterally an LNAV is identical to an LPV and can be flown without any SBAS at all so the LNAV will definitely endure.

I can see where you are coming from regarding the “overlay” but that’s something very specific to “overlaying” SBAS on a lateral conventional procedure. Certainly our aircraft are certified to 3D couple to the SBAS generated 3D LNAV/VNAV information. They will not couple to the advisory glideslope published for LNAV+V.

So here’s an interesting document from the CAA to ponder:

https://www.euroga.org/system/1/user..._Questions.pdf

At question 6:

The end of EGNOS EWA agreements will only impact the LPV elements of an RNP APCH IAP, therefore only the LPV lines of minima within RNP IAPs will be NOTAM’d as unavailable, before subsequently being withdrawn. LNAV (and LNAV/VNAV) lines of minima published on RNP APCH IAPs will continue to be available. There is currently no alternative to the EGNOS SoL service available in the UK or envisaged in the short term.

Perhaps Alex with your status in the real world could ask the CAA the following:

Can LNAV/VNAV be flown using SBAS in the UK in accordance with para 5.4.4.2 of Vol 1 of PANS OPS?

If not could the CAA please provide a clear statement to the community?

I for one will continue to use LNAV/VNAV in accordance with my ops manual.

I feel a terrible sense of dread that whilst I have a comprehensive set of references for this, there is a Luddite in the government who is going to spring up and say we cannot use SBAS for anything and we have to turn it off to prevent contamination of this country with Euro influences.

joy.