PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 single engine go around and TOGA switches
Old 7th Jul 2021, 07:38
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Combine symbology change with unusual attitude presented to a non-trained, fatigued crew right on the wrong side of WOCL: the mix has killed before ("B" Rostov). Could happen on any type. Just like speedtape confusion mixed with stomagravic illusion ("A" Sochi).

Thanks gentlemen. I went from a novice real-pilot to half-pilot 16 years ago. The transition was not a problem as I was trained on the 737 to watch my N1s. 1) Set the target, 2) check your V/S + speed and move the levers accordingly, 3) review and memorize the new N1 value. Noting extreme, scan the "T" once and then peak at the EIS, rinse & repeat.

Speed vector turned me to a lazy engine scanner over time, significant drop there once the EPR models came by. Eyes never learned to pick the N1 from the new location, I guess. My personal feelings about AB non-moving is beyond the scope of the thread.

Back to the scheduled programming, now that the obligatory hijack of a BA thread by AB semi-pilots is done, shall we? Before we do: The suggestion that Asiana disaster was majorly contributed by the training on an advanced previous model is absurd, moreover because that training (if done) actually reinforces the vital skills that were missing on the accident day. I threw in the pandora's box because the opinion re-occurs - how airbus experience unteaches the skills needed to survive boeing - while the exact opposite is true. Yes, there are organs that atrophy naturally and weathervane on the 'bus, airspeed control is not one of them, same as where your hands go.

Last edited by FlightDetent; 7th Jul 2021 at 09:15.