PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BNA/MNG SFIS info
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2021, 00:40
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Lead (is it Led or Leed?),
I used to issue CAR120 approvals for CASA although dozens of others also could, and the approval is specific to a person, not a job. They needed only to produce the BoM documentation proving they had "attended" the course, see <MA.9a Qualifications & Competencies, Aerodrome Weather Observers, Version 3.0>. I reiterate though, the CAR puts the onus, and the strict liability, on the pilot to "must not use", so how does the pilot know?. Regulations should target the person giving the weather advice.

A pilot is deemed to be able to make his/her own observations without "attending" the BoM course, however, note that only applies to their own flight. A PIC may not provide weather information to another PIC unless they have a CAR120 approval. Get your head around the logic in that one!

As for looking at things that are providing weather information. I, on behalf of CASA, agreed with the BoM that the person telling a pilot what an approved machine (such as an AWIS) was reading, did not constitute a weather observation. Weather instruments such as an AWIS are certified under 1(a) of CAR120 by the BoM. Therefore anyone is allowed to tell a pilot what, for instance, the QNH readout is displaying without having a qualification. I do not know the status of the weather cams but I think they are owned by Airservices, so you might be correct. Once again the same problem, how does a pilot know that something is "approved"?