PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BNA/MNG SFIS info
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 03:55
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Roger - Flight Service did not disappear, the responsibility was passed to ATC. This streamlined air traffic services (ATS) and meant that surveillance could be used to monitor traffic OCTA or what became Class G airspace. Most of the FSOs became ATCs. What did disappear was full reporting for VFR flights.

Captain - UNICOMs in Australia were crippled by CASA and Airservices trying to operate them as a Government "service", instead of the US practice where they are operated by airport employees, or businesses. The trials were universally panned by everyone involved so CASA just dropped the idea. They should remain something that is useful, but not ever considered to be part of the ATS. There are now only two CA/GRS, Ayers Rock, and Ballina. Ayers Rock has been there so long it's a mystery (to me anyway) why it was ever started; Ballina was a recommendation by CASA OAR until they found that their recommendations were just being filed because they can only authorise airspace! Ballina to their credit adopted it anyway. I understand that in both cases the airline operators agreed to cover the cost. As I understand it, Airservices does not charge operators at Port Hedland for the AFIS, the cost is absorbed. They have also stated that they would not charge directly for the SFIS at Ballina or Mangalore.