PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pioneer and Twin Pioneer
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 01:08
Saint Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Khormaksar, about 1965. I watched a Twin Pioneer taxi past our dispersal and it didn't look right. Then I realised it was fitted with guided missiles - on the brace between the fuselage and mainwheels if I remember correctly. Others that saw it too said the missiles were SS11's. Still at Khormaksar, we all heard a strange noise coming from the airfield and went outside to take a look. A Twin Pioneer fitted with loudspeakers was flying low and slow along the runway with someone onboard calling out the height and speed. We assumed they were trying to determine the optimum height/speed for having a chat with the rebels. Finally at Khormaksar, I watched a Twin Pioneer line-up for take-off into a brisk wind. Brakes "on' and full throttle causes the tail wheel to get airborne. Brakes "off" and the tiny mainwheels make what seemed like 10 revolutions and the whole aircraft is airborne - mucking refarkable.

RAF Seletar, about 1966. On detachment with 66 Sqdn. (Belvedere's) at Batu Pahat with Belvedere's, Wirlwind's, Beaver's, Single and Twin Pioneer's everywhere. Someone calls out, "hey, look at that" and we all look up to see a Single Pioneer hovering, yes hovering, in the air. It was low enough for us to see that he had flaps and slats deployed - again, mucking refarkable. Oh, happy days!