PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UKSAR2G - MCA CivSAR Second Generation
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2021, 11:34
Ant T

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rrekn
To be fair to BIH, who wants to keep heading to the Falklands....
The Falklands is not necessarily the problem. I know of many pilots and engineers who have enjoyed their time in the Falklands, both in the distant past (Bristow MOD contract 1983-1998), and Bristow oil contract 2015 - both of which I worked on. And I know of a good number of them now who would jump at the chance to come back here.

However, having also worked there in the past for BIH, over a total of 5 years, I can certainly say that the turnover of staff there was markedly higher than any of the other three organisations that I have flown for in my career. And I know of more than three local aircraft engineers, as well as base management staff, and at least one pilot (me), living in the Falklands, who chose to leave what on the face of it was an ideal job. (At the time I resigned, I did not have another job to go to).

It was the unhappiest workforce I have ever been part of.
However BIH have been providing a solid SAR service with a good rep (as far as I know). I think any bid involving Airbus will be difficult to beat on sheer price alone, but reputation counts for a lot and BIH have provided the service very well, which has to count for a lot (one would hope!)
That was not my experience. The dedication of the pilots, rear crew and engineers is without question, but the SAR aircraft spend what seems to me an astonishing amount of time unserviceable.