PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching Performance at PPL level
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2021, 23:31
Edgington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
PPL studies have never involved a knowledge of commercial operations. The limitations and guidance for private flights including take-off and landing are found only by reference to the Aircraft Manual/POH. Certain performance data is not available in many aircraft manuals though, especially very early ones, but it is not a requirement to write up an operational limitation as a supplement and have it approved. Amendments to aircraft manuals particularly operating data is sometimes required by the CAA to be inserted as an amendment to the POH.

The guidance given for take off and landing in the old but still current Safety Sense leaflet, in my view, is excellent and has a particular purpose; to act as guidance when, and only when, the aircraft manual does not. The advice is always generic and can be described, at best, as putting the pilot on the safe side of wrong, however never compulsory.

I don't think there are two conflicting standards. The additional limitations imposed for commercial ops are there to deal with the sometimes intense external pressures that a commercial pilot can be subject to.
All good points, I would agree with you.
The problem would seem to be the CAA are quoting certain things in the answers to certain questions in the PPL E-Exams. The CAA shouldn't be asking things that aren't in the syllabus or things that aren't referenced in law, that would be unfair.
We were taught to use 1.33 factor for take-off, but it took a while to find where that came from. I was taught in Holland so the safety factor isn't UK only, but must have been referenced elsewhere. Like I said in my answer I think Alex classed PPL as Perf B while they are more Class C, for Class C there is reference to 1.33 take-off factor.