PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We’re getting a new “National Flagship”
Old 10th Jun 2021, 01:16
rattman

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Mac
WW
I am not 100% sure, but are those yards not closed, as I recall Appledore closed some years ago, and a quick search of the boat her self shows that the Plymouth yard was taken over, and does not seem to be in the yacht business. Also she is nearly 10 years old with a build time of over 5 years back then. Will Tubs wait that long, and I think the £200m budget for the new GB Yacht would not stretch to Vava 2 costs.
PS tender is not British

Cheers
Mr Mac
Yep those look to be defunct and cant find any mega/super yacht builders still operating in the UK. Theres still some smaller yards building <35 meter boats but nothing in the scale that seems to be talking about

Not to say they cant just cant get someone in the UK to build it, hell if I was govt I would get one of the companies who are currently building one of the type 26's to build the hull and machinery but have to converted into the a national yacht either at an overseas place that knows what its doing or a british company. Maybe use it showcase the type 26's, expensive show case but still.