PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We’re getting a new “National Flagship”
Old 8th Jun 2021, 09:25
Mr Mac

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by rattman
Actually worked on super yachts. They break into 3 catagories super yachts, mega and gigayachts.

If you want to upgrade you got 2 options you can go order a bespoke yacht built exactly to your specification and wait 3-5 for it to be designed and built. These are not like cars that you can just ring up and get a new car driveway with in hours. They are also the people who give zero ...ks. For example graham heart went to a company that built commercial and wanted them to build him a superyacht they refused but said if they wanted two they would. So he bought two lived on the first one for a while, then lived on the second for while and sold the first

Superyachts and mega yachts change hands regularly because as I said you want to upgrade you got 2 options buy someone elses or wait 3-5 years, heard with covid its getting closer to 7 years if you want one from big names . Gigayachts are different and are much more bespoke, evan that octopus (paul allen Microsoft) sold after his death for around 200 to 230 million after being on the market for 12 months

For most gigayachts theres probablyt not a cheque big enough for A or Dilbar but there are gigyachts for sale if are interested like octopus
rattman
Personally I think the proposed ship/yacht looks like a tricked out Calmac ferry. As for building yachts, the Dutch and German yards have the most experience but not for £200m as you will know. I foresee an expensive vanity project (if indeed it ever gets built) and with no Royal patronage I am not sure the social cache will be that great either. As for crewing and costs that is yet another issue for a cash strapped and under resourced Navy which they do not need.
Cheers
Mr Mac