PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow sponsored cadet (HP61) programme 2021 launched
Old 7th Jun 2021, 12:33
SASless

Received 506 Likes on 210 Posts
According to my alcohol ravaged brain and advancing years toll upon my memory.....I am thinking the first HP Cadet to rise to the top of the Training Establishment was a two thumbs up fellow, an excellent aviator, a true pleasure to fly with and be around...who was both respected and respectful.....and should have been the role model for all that followed.

That was not the case.....he was in a Class all by himself and lived and breathed Bristow....but in a very healthy way...he could see and acknowledge the Warts too.

We had many enjoyable flights together and always went beyond the minimum required to include doing Touch Down Autorotations in the 212 and simulated Tail Rotor failures which never happened with any other 212 Check Pilot.

We did some on the S-58T with another really. enjoyable guy to fly with ....ex-RAF and not an HP Graduate.

The limited knowledge base that such a system fosters and the incestuous relationship where buddies "check" buddies turnabout....with no leavening from third party sources is what leads to that Achilles Heel.

Rules of Warfare apply....."Never believe your own propaganda.".

We had a wonderful example of that on a couple of occasions that went on to cost the company a lot of money as Standards were lowered due to mediocracy where it was not performance or ability that determined who the "Standards Setters" were.

The best example is when I was told to I wold be doing the VOR Approach at an Airfield during my IF Base Check (done on a VIP Revenue Flight)....which despite my suggestion I was unable to do that Approach Procedure....and when quizzed why not....replied "There is no VOR there." and was told there bloody well is....to be told by the Tower Controller upon requesting that approach....."OH, Captain there is no VOR!".

Folks....you cannot make this stuff up and make it any more ludicrous.