PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach, what lurks beyond the circling area?
Old 31st May 2021, 14:54
CaptainMongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BraceBrace

I was in the sim a month ago (A320) with an instructor operating the sim and another in the right seat. I wanted to video the PFD and ND during a circling approach. I prepared a simulated circling dialogue [PF, PM, ATC) to a field our company most likely would circle at. (KBZN) The dialogue consisted of flying the approach, commencing the circle, being required to go missed on short final (due to AC off runway) and flying published missed.

It is true, the visual did not allow for a good visually flown offset nor an appropriate descent to the runway. However setting the box up, flying the maneuver, and most importantly going missed was good training. It was an illuminating experience for the three of us.

Simulator training may not be appropriate but what we’re doing now, which is nothing, is wrong. A circle is treated as a normal maneuver, more normal than an engine failure on takeoff, yet a pilot, at least at our company, may not circle in his or her entire career. The company and ATC want to keep a circle as an option to be used as a last resort to get into an airfield.

Fine, then pilots should demand appropriate, effective, and recurrent circling training.