PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced Landing on Collaroy Beach NSW
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2021, 02:22
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
A similar situation exists around using an Raaus aircraft for an CPL and ATPL. You can troll through the regs and you will not find a reference to the hours counting towards a a CPL and ATPL unless the aircraft is Australian Registered. Therefore, how are pilots using their Raaus hours towards their CPL and ATPL? Because there is a letter floating around from CASA that says that CASA will recognise 50% of the hours being flown in an aircraft on the Raaus register.
That may have been the case in days of old, but it is no longer current. From this document:
Originally Posted by CASA
Registered and recognised aircraft—if you are applying for a licence after completing an integrated training course, you must have logged the minimum flight times, specified in the regulations, in registered or recognised aircraft of the same category. For example, to obtain a CPL(A), you must have at least 140 hours of flight time in registered or recognised aeroplanes. Registered aircraft have a VH registration and recognised aircraft are either aircraft that are on the register of an ICAO Contracting State or a State aircraft. Aircraft registered with Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) are not VH registered aircraft.

Flight training in RAAus registered aircraft is not Part 141 or 142 flight training. Flight experience in RAAus registered aircraft can be used to meet the 200 hour CPL(A) requirement.
[My bold. I (still) cannot find a reference as to "Australian Registered Aircraft" beyond what I've written above.

EDIT: Found probably the closest thing I can see thus far:
From CASR 202.900
"registered" , in relation to an Australian aircraft, means:
(a) in the case of an aircraft to which Division 47.C.1 applies--registered under Division 47.C.1; or
(b) in the case of an aircraft to which Division 47.C.2 applies--registered under Division 47.C.2.

Now those two provisions relate to RPA's and the CASA Civil Aircraft Register, that being the case, so far as the CASR's are concerned, an "Australian Registered Aircraft" would be one with VH- on the side, however per CASR 200.014, RAAus aircraft operating under CAO95.55 are exempt from the CASR's, and that definition.
From CASR 200.014
Certain ultralight aeroplanes
An aeroplane to which Civil Aviation Order 95.55, as in force from time to time, applies is exempt from CASR (other than the excluded provisions) if the conditions in that Order are satisfied.

And, because I know someone will ask...
"excluded provisions" means all of the following:
(a) Part 1;
(b) Subpart 11.G;
(c) Part 39;
(d) Part 99;
(e) Part 149;
(f) Part 200.

So per CASR200.014, RAAus aircraft operating under CAO95.55 are exempt from the CASR's, bar the few listed above, however, the definition of Australian Registered Aircraft found in CASR202 is not one of those excluded provisions, thus rendering ops under CAO95.55 exempt from that definition.

So....What is an "Australian Registered Aircraft" so far as a CAO is concerned? Fuctifino!

Last edited by KRviator; 31st May 2021 at 02:39. Reason: Added the CASR's bit