PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach, what lurks beyond the circling area?
Old 29th May 2021, 14:29
CaptainMongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
We haven’t banned them yet but I can’t remember the last time I had to fly one.
Our carrier hasn’t banned them either. I’m coming to the opinion however that they should be banned. Not because circling is inherently dangerous, but because we NEVER practice the maneuver prior to the real world event.

We don’t practice them in the sim for fun or as a training requirement. The closest our pilots get to circling before actually flying a circling approach is on the ground - reading flight manual sections describing circling, classroom instruction and line operational experience briefings. That would not be allowed in any other aspect of aviation.

Our circling minimums are 1000-3 or published, whichever is higher. I know that’s not rooting around in the weeds. I also know there will be some who say that pilots should be able to fly a circle with no simulator training and maybe a pilot should be able to do that. But the reality is I don’t have confidence every one of our pilots could do that with the circling training we presently get.