PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas...Post COVID
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2021, 10:04
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FightDeck
Qantas can run a RIN, and move crew to where there is work without displacing anyone in a subsequent RIN.
The Bump that Keg assumes only happens after crew move and IF Qantas choose to then run a subsequent RIN.Nothing to stop QF carrying a surplus and avoiding the bump.
Qantas runs a RIN because a category is in surplus. With only 40 A380 Captains and plans for at least 6 A380s to return (and Joyce keeps talking about all 12) one needs to ask whether the A380 categories fit the definition of being in surplus. That’s an argument that can go either way depending on a bunch of legal definitions. That is a discussion that is well above my pay grade. I have an opinion on the matter but am often reminded that it’s just my opinion.

However let’s consider your justification for a RIN. You’re suggesting we do a RIN of the A380 category (presumably because you feel them in surplus), have them displace to the A330 and 787 (where there is only currently enough flying for about 50% of the crew) but then NOT do a subsequent RIN on the A330 and 787? It seems a little odd to push a barrow to RIN one fleet due not enough flying for those pilots but then not follow that principle through to it’s logical conclusion on other LH fleets?

Interestingly, toward the end of last year it seemed there were quite advanced discussions and some plans to move crew from the non flying fleets onto the 330 and 787. Those discussions seem not to have progressed this year. Perhaps the real question A380 pilots should be asking is what happened to those ideas that were being discussed in the back half of last year.

Originally Posted by FightDeck
Stand down will have a limited timeframe…..
This I agree with though I suspect we disagree on when that time frame comes around.