PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 727 Holiday jets.
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2021, 06:24
SpringHeeledJack

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I believe all the Mexicana 727-200s had it. They were more marginal than the original model. Mexicana had both.

Pan Am shut down in December 1991, and the various reincarnations that came and went were not running in 1993, so I guess this refers to a former Pan Am aircraft. It's a chance that it had been in the Berlin fleet. Back in the 1970s Pan Am's 727 fleet was about half and half between Berlin and Miami, maybe a dozen each, with about another three up to 1975 also at Bangkok whence they operated military charters into Vietnam (obviously not after the fall). The two fleets did periodic exchanges, which is how they turned up occasionally transiting Prestwick or Shannon. But after 1980 National Airlines was merged in, including the route you were on, which brought their own substantial 727 fleet into Pan Am. Furthermore Pan Am then brought various secondhand aircraft in addition. They gave up in Berlin in 1990, shortly after the Wall fell there, and the fleet returned to the USA, although in the final years it was pretty much 737s (secondhand and often looking decidedly down-at-heel, plus a couple of A300s. But 737s are over in the other thread !
Thank you for the info. On checking the PanAm flights, they were in April of 1991 and were PanAm flights, PAxxx flight numbers and aircraft. I had many years where I was just flying with minimal 'enthusiast' interest and it's all a blur. Wish I'd had a camera....During this time I did do a few flights on Kiwi International Airlines 727's between Newark (the 'cheap' option for NYC back then) to Chicago Midway (also the cheap option) and I seem to remember some of their 727's were ex-PanAm, although maybe Northwest Orient originally.