View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2021, 16:12
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
JetBlast member 2005.
JetBlast member 2006.
Banned 2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vanished airfields

I've lived here in Texas for quite a while now so was aware of a few of these, but was surprised at how many airports there used to be, I found a 1967 map at a garage sale and saw quite a few listed on it like White Rock Airport that's now a car dealership, Mustang Field that's now a collection of 15 or so very nice apartment complexes, and Garland Airport (I think it was called that) which became a big box store with a huge parking lot. I read that they even used to make Spartans there

Some small airfields still hang on as well like Dallas Airpark, but you can see how 'civilization' is crowding in on them

Most surprising of all, and I forget now how I ran into this one, was Great Southwestern. It was built between Dallas and Fort Worth and had a beautiful art deco lounge area. The pictures I've seen made it look very impressive, however it only lasted a few years because they decided to build DFW in pretty much the same location, so they closed down Great Southwestern and its 18-36 runway became Amon Carter Blvd, which I believe became the access road into American Airlines headquarters. The article said you could still see a portion of the North end of the runway, just north of 183, so I checked it on Google maps and you certainly can. You just can't quite see it from the road which is why I'd driven past it so many times without really realising it was there

How many old airfields are near you? (Not just disused WWII ones)