PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid Air in the US
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2021, 06:53
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The late great aviation writer Richard Collins wrote an excellent article about Cirrus pilots https://airfactsjournal.com/2012/05/...cirrus-pilots/ nearly ten years ago. I think what he wrote then and updated a few years later still provides some interesting insights. These highly capable aircraft are flown by a lot of pilots that think they are flying a mini airliner, but without two current and experienced pilots. I flew our group SR22T a lot last year but still way less than I would consider even halfway adequate (in hours terms at least) to be current flying an airbus. We don’t yet know much about who was flying here and the accident was clearly not just caused by one thing. Procedures may also have played a role. For example I have flown for many years from Munich, a busy parallel runway airport. Aircraft are vectored onto the approaches at different altitudes. Obviously VFR and IFR are two different things and maybe it really was just chance that the Cirrus appears to have been perfectly on the vertical profile and completely off directionally and speed wise. But it still makes me wonder how the plane was being flown. On the plus side it is a great advertisement for the parachute system.