PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyinggroup Antwerp/NL assessment
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2021, 13:01
FlyTCI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klimax
If the pay and other employment conditions were attractive (which they´re clearly not) you wouldn´t have to worry to much about the bond, would you. You´d stay on as happy camper and the days go by. The bond for the initial surely covers ALL associated expenses related to to the initial training, which means type rating AND base training on the aircraft (EASA land), hotels, per diem, travel etc. - which is not unusual to be part of the initial training bond - though the quote your given on the PC24 does sound on the high side for a light jet (but I´d admit to not know the type rating cost on type).

I don´t see how you´re subsidizing anything - since you not paying for anything UNLESS you leave prematurely. IF you were told to arrive with a self sponsored type rating - you´d be subsidizing training costs. This is not the case. The monetary investment is done by someone other than yourself. The bonding on the recurrent is interesting though, since it overlaps with the initial and as you correctly summarize apparently accumulates until you reach the end of the training bond. Ultimately it´s a sickening setup - and I can understand that you step aside from it. Good luck in America.
Yes, I would only be subsidizing the owner if I left prematurely and that’s why the three years was a no go for me, I don’t like to lock myself into a contract like that. Three years is a VERY long time in aviation and a lot of things can happen in that time frame.

Now, as far as the bond for the subsequent recurrent I definitely do believe that is subsidizing the owner even if the money itself comes out of his pocket, it’s a cost which should be covered by the owner and locks someone down for another year who for under a minimum of a year has already shown him if they are a good employee or not worth keeping. No ifs, ends or buts about it and you seem to agree with it, a very weird set up indeed.

I actually don’t fully blame the owner for this contract, even if he was involved with the discussion regarding the counter offer I made and they decided to not entertain it all. He actually told me at our f2f that the bond was probably going to be two years. Maybe he was blowing smoke up my rear, that I will never know, but he probably put full trust in the management company that they would do the “right thing” in the offer. This guy has never owned an airplane before and I am sure FG were promising him unicorn and rainbows and telling him this is how it’s done, just trust us.

Thanks on my return to America. I know aviation may not be perfect over there either, but the yanks have a different and healthier view on aviation and how it should be done, which is quite refreshing. Every now and then I link stories about European aviation on the US based web pilot forum I frequent over there to make them realize how good they in general have it over there. They are always aghast on what the pilots in Europe have to endure and it puts their relatively small complaints in a perspective.

I have decided to not rehash this any further in public, their crappy offer has now been made known for anyone to see and decide for themselves should they ever consider employment with this group, and I gain nothing further by discussing this topic. Basically everything has been covered here by now.