PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What’s it like flying in the Republic of the Congo?
Old 14th May 2021, 07:45
stevef

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
I worked in Zaire as an engineer 93/94; it was largely a grim experience and won't have been improved by its name change. The company I worked for was Scandinavian-owned, well-run, looked after their staff and we always got paid on time and in US dollars; the local currency was pretty worthless and inflation went up by the day. The country was riddled by corruption, stealing was normal, maintenance by most outfits was appalling or non-existent and there seemed to be accidents every month. Be prepared for power and water cuts, no street lighting, general inefficiency and having to pay bribes to 'oil the wheels'. It was the only way to get a guaranteed trouble-free track through the N'djili airport pax departures procedure in my experience and well-worth it. To be fair, the social life wasn't too bad if you knew where to go (the Spikizi and Domino in Kinshasa for example) and it was entertaining to see what passes as motor transport.
It's true that Republic of Congo's reputation was better than that of the DRC. Mobutu's influence probably had a lot to do with it. As krismiler says, Botswana is probably one of the most stable countries in Africa; I spent about seven years in Gaborone and Maun and it was the polar opposite of the DRC.
But if you're young, single and want some 'interesting' experiences, try a spell in the DRC. I doubt if the country's changed for the better in its sixty years of independence.

Last edited by stevef; 14th May 2021 at 14:17.