PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky SB-1 flies for first time
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2021, 15:47
SansAnhedral

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by casper64
I agree, slightly less than V22...I said nacelles, what I meant was the wings and it’s nacelles. If you are landing in slightly lower terrain than the area around you (clearly not ideal but sometimes no other options), you probably have more restrictions than with a regular rotor disc. And how vulnerable is such a split nacelle already for small arms fire? And that times 2 as you have 2....
This seems a rather silly thing to try and poke at.

In a (very rare) defilade-type position you describe, the larger and lower spinning rotor of a conventional helicopter causes essentially the same occlusion within a couple of degrees, but over the entire circular arc instead of just the narrow aspect wing area. This difference is accentuated due to fact that the gun positions are largely forward of the wings.

The dual engine and pylon arrangement and the tiltrotor platform has proven itself in combat with the V-22 for going on 15 years now, from both small and heavy arms fire. Just look up Rooster 73 in south Sudan, or the DFC awards for the Osprey pilots flying in Afghanistan in 2012.