PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado or something American
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2021, 17:59
ex-fast-jets

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
Way back in about 2000, I think - I was a relatively senior chap and was in the STC (as it was then) Scottish CinC's Office who had just returned from a visit to the USA, and he was in awe of the folk who had briefed him, especially during his visit to Charleston (I think it was) where he was shown the C-17 that we were about to buy.

He couldn't get over the enthusiasm and dedication of the people - at all ranks - that he had met.

I mentioned to him (I had done 3 years on exchange with the USN, and three with the USAF, so I knew a little bit about how the US Military worked) the access that 22-year veterans had to on-base facilities after retirement (BX/PX/Commissary tax-free buying, plus medical/dental support, plus leisure activities and O'Club/SNCO Club membership etc etc) and suggested he considered what the US does for its retired military folk, compared to the UK who basically abandon their retirees. So the folk who had briefed him were enthusiastic and dedicated not just because of the product they were talking about, but because they also wanted to stay in for the 22 years needed to get the benefits that they wanted and deserved.

We then started to discuss pilot retention..........

I said that if he would get me three squadrons of F-16's and re-open Chivenor, I could make a serious impact on pilot retention - and ground crew retention to make the F-16's all work!!

At that stage, he invited me to leave his office! He just used two words...........

So back to thread - you chose. Tornado F-3 was a great aircraft, but so were/are the F-14, F-15 and F-16. Two are still going, two are not. But if I had to chose between the two that are not, I would go for the F-14 without hesitation. The final version of the F-14 Bombcat was very impressive as a multi-role platform even compared to the the final variant of the F-3 which was a very capable single-role platform.